- Bezmenov: Same thing was done under the guidance of the Soviet Embassy in Hanoi, and same thing I was doing in New Delhi. To my my horror I discovered that in the files were people who were doomed to execution. There were names of pro-Soviet journalists with whom I was personally friendly.
- Interviewer: Pro-Soviet?
- Bezmenov: Yes! They were idealistically minded Leftists, who made several visits to USSR, and yet the KGB decided that come revolution or drastic changes in political structure of India, they will have to go.
- Interviewer: Why is that?
- Bezmenov: Because they know too much. Simply because, you see, simply because the useful idiots, the Leftists, who are idealistically believing in the beauty of Soviet socialist or communist or whatever system, when they get the solution they become the worst enemies. That’s why my KGB instructors specifically made the point: "Never bother with Leftists. Forget about these political prostitutes. Aim higher." This was my instruction. Try to get into large circulation established conservative media. Reach, reach moviemakers, intellectuals, so-called academic circles. Cynical, egocentric people, who can look into your eyes with angelic expression and tell you a lie. This are the most recruitable people. People who lack moral principles, who are either too greedy, or who suffer from self-importance. They feel that they, they matter a lot. These are the people who KGB wanted very much to recruit.
- Interviewer: But to eliminate the others, to execute the others… Don’t they serve some purpose, wouldn’t they be the ones to rely…
- Bezmenov: No. They serve a purpose only at the stage of destabilization of the nation. For example your Leftists in United States. All these professors and all these beautiful civil rights defender(s). They are instrumental in the process of the, of the subversion only to destabilize a nation. When the job is completed, they are not needed anymore. They know too much. Some of them when, when they get dissolution, when they see that Marxist-Leninist has come to power, they obviously, they get offended. They think that they will come to power. That will never happen, of course. They will be lined up against the wall and shot.
Yuri Bezmenov aka Tomas Schuman speaks about the useful idiots in 1984